Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blowing Glass ...


Between Amanda and I, we work at a total of eight schools. About once a month or so a group of teachers from one of those eight schools usually asks us if we want to get together and do something on the weekend. It's a really great offer that we usually take them up on. Last month they asked if we wanted to go blow glass. Obviously we do.

Three teachers pick us up one Saturday morning and we drive to a town close by called Kurashiki. We arrive at what looks like some sort of unmarked shed and I can instantly feel the intense heat coming from the small doorway. Great. Not only is it incredibly hot outside, here it's also incredibly hot inside.

We met the man in charge (who only speaks Japanese) and filled out some paperwork. Amanda was convinced we were signing some sort of waiver, although neither of us could understand what we were signing exactly (and the translation was poor). We were asked to draw a picture of what we wanted our glass to look like and, fully aware that I didn't get the artistic gene, I am instantly convinced I will be leaving with a misshapen glob of multicolored glass, but still excited nonetheless.

We have a few minutes to look around the 'shed' and there are a couple shelves with his handmade glass that are quite amazing, as was the price. I was definitely intrigued by this whole process.



I'll let the videos speak for the experience. You can see how difficult it is to understand each other's spoken words but at the same time you can see the power in nonverbal communication. I didn't understand one word that man said all day, but I could still follow his directions.

They come in a series, so watch them in order.
(or not ... some technical difficulty with the videos ... I'll keep work on it. Sorry!)

The pictures will have to do for now!

The source of the incredible heat ... & the double door apparatus on the left is a freezer. Once the glass is finished it is immediately transferred to the extreme cold to set.

Amanda demonstrating how it's done.


There was a lot of 'slow blow'ing, some confusion, and tons of dripping sweat (gross, I know, but it was literally 120 degrees in there!), but it was amazing. I love the outings that the teachers plan for us.

I'll keep working on the videos.

much love
-tara-
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment