Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Food ...

Let me preface this by saying that I am not starving. There's a wide variety of food here. Some that I love - some that I hate. Most things I try fall somewhere in the middle.

I do my fair share of eating out and the occasional eating in. I've found some things I'm good at cooking and some typical American snacks - Oreos, Ritz crackers, Haagen Dazs - that help curb the craving for food from home. And thanks to some of my important people I have snacks from home that I'm trying desperately to save for those homesick emergencies (which I haven't really had yet... although I have an intense craving for football). :)

I've managed to snap a few shots of school lunch, restaurant food, or something I've managed to cook up. I try very hard not to be offensive or insensitive so believe me there is a lot more that I wish I had pictures of. I'm sure my photo collection of 'interesting food' will continue to prosper.

Some restaurant food:

Sunday Sun: A restaurant about a block from my apartment. Closely resembling a Perkins (& open 24 hours with a picture menu!)

The infamous corn & mayo pizza from the local cafe Gusto. It's actually not that bad :)

Potatoes, sausage & cheese. Also from Gusto.

Many restaurants have something like a display window out front with plastic replicas of the food inside. Quite handy.

Official definition: Takoyaki (たこ焼き or 蛸焼) (literally fried or baked octopus) is a popular Japanese dumpling made of batter, diced octopus, tempura scraps (tenkasu), pickled ginger, konnyaku, and green onion, topped with okonomiyaki sauce, green laver, mayonnaise, and katsuobushi (fish shavings), originated in Osaka.


We dissected the takoyaki and the inside looked as disgusting as it tasted (personal opinion!).


Okonomiyaki. Also called Japanese pancakes. I ordered mine with beef and cheese & the smother it with mayonnaise and 'sweet sauce'. It's actually not bad.


Some bread I picked up from a cafe. On the right is milk bread (a sweet, sticky bread) & on the left is a sandwich thingy with tuna and tomatoes.


The delivery vehicles. Most restaurants deliver via moped. I'm not cool enough to be able to call & order ... yet. :)


Some ichiba (market) food:

It's odd taking pictures in the grocery store without people staring. I only take pictures when I'm 100% sure no one is looking. So far I've only got a couple shots.

In case you were hungry for some squid. I'm definitely not.


Watermelon - both red & yellow. I haven't tried it ... I'm kind of afraid.



A classic favorite ... never mind the Japanese writing - they taste the same!

These are kind of like garden flavored pretzel sticks.


7-up! We also have Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Mt. Dew, etc. (Sorry Deb, no Dr. Pepper)

Some house food:

Here's what I have in my house. I can't believe I'm showing pictures of my fridge - I'd never do this at home!

The inside of my refrigerator. Milk, apply juice, soy sauce, cheese, Italian dressing, bacon bits, mushrooms, etc.

Some sauces & spices - soy sauces, jams (carrot & pumpkin), garlic & oregano.

Some school food:

Hmm ... mystery lunch - just like school at home!

Yet another day of food - I ate the rice! The drink is tea, not my favorite but I'm getting used to it.
My daily deal. Water (as opposed to tea), white rice, tomatoes, mystery noodles, & mystery seafood. I think this was a crab meat or something of the sorts - I ate it & it was ok. I can't eat the noodles yet though. I keep trying.

School snack. I really don't know what it was, but it tasted good around 3:00pm after mystery lunch.


Let me remind you that I am NOT starving. I just wanted to add a little insight into the world of food over here in Japan.
much love,
-tara-
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment