Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Wellington Habour ...

"Wellington Harbour is the large natural harbour on the southern tip of New Zealand's North Island. In the Māori language the harbour is known as Te Whanganui-a-Tara (the great harbour of Tara)" (Wikipedia, duh). Seriously!? The great harbour of Tara? Amazing. As was the harbour.

We spent our first full day in Wellington first at Karori West in the morning and then in meetings and presentations at Learning Media Publishing Company in the afternoon. We talked books, publishing, ideas, careers, purchasing, and anything else you could possibly think of. This was my first official meeting with a publisher and it was exciting. After the observation and the meeting, we were free to do as we pleased for the rest of our time in Wellington, which was approximately 24 hours. Daniel and I decided to brave the rain and walk around downtown and to the harbour. My harbour. :)


Of course it was raining and the sky was gray and unfriendly, but our time was limited so I zipped up my coat, put my hood up, tightened my scarf & put on a smile.

See? Look how excited we are:

The harbour was beautiful, even in the rain and minus the sun. I'm not going to lie though, it was cold.

Not exactly a good day for water transport, but it was there:

The area along the harbour, with downtown Wellington in the background:

Some weirdo stairs ... I don't know:


There was REAL grass!! & Lots of it ... we don't have real grass in Japan:

And then there was this interesting artwork:

Daniel, giving his interpretation of the art:

The Silver Fern Tree, native to New Zealand:

There was also this giant fountain that looked kind of like a waterslide ... Had it been a little warmer ... Instead I just stood in front of it. :) :

I tried convincing this statue not to jump ... it was a long way down & the water looked kind of like the Missouri river:

A Dennis Glover poem that suits me rather well:And then there were the rowers. Nevermind the fact that it was freezing & raining, these guys were hardcore. Daniel and I thought about seeing if they would give us a ride, but they looked like they were rowing out into the middle of nowhere. We passed."

Besides the rain and lack of sunshine, The Great Harbour of Tara lived up to it's name. It was interesting and awesome and amazing and uniquely beautiful. :)

much love

-tara-

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment