Monday, October 6, 2008

Moving On To Wellington ...

Ok, these blogs are going to get a little shorter - at least until I'm done writing about this trip - because ... well, because I don't feel like writing a lot at this point. The funny thing is that as I write that, I already know once I start writing I won't be able to 'keep it short'. That's never really been my style. :)
My favorite airport sign ever - & I've been to A LOT of airports:

After literally 24 hours in Auckland we caught a flight that would take us a little further south to Wellington. It wasn't until we were out of New Zealand that I learned the Wellintong Airport is considered to be one of the most dangerous airports because of the excessive amount of wind. There have been several incidents of aircraft being overturned or swayed from the runway because of wind gusts. Next time I fly to New Zealand I'll make sure to fly in to a different airport.

My initial reaction to Wellington was that it had far more personality than Auckland, but then again Auckland really didn't get a fair shot. Maybe it was just the idea that we were staying for two nights, which was like an extended stay on this trip. Similar to my American excursion a few weeks prior.
What most of the area looked like ... don't forget that it's still winter:
Once again we tried to get our 'city tour' in on the shuttle from the airport to the hotel because of our time constraints.
Some expensive property (according to our driver):

Go figure that it was raining:
We arrived at the hotel and this time we only had enough time to put our luggage in holding before we had to be at our first meeting. Not even enough time to check in, but there was enough time for me to realize that we were staying at an amazing hotel. It might have been better than the Sahara Bob, but then again maybe not. It's a close call. :)
The Museum Hotel in all it's glory:
My room:
And my small kitchen ...
that started revealing all of these great wonders when
I began opening the cupboards & drawers:

Complete with an espresso machine, a stove bigger than the one in my
apartment and a mini bar that was anything but mini:

Our first afternoon was spent in meetings, but we did manage to find some time to walk around downtown Wellington. Daniel & I didn't really have a plan, or a map for that matter, but we figured we would battle the rain in an attempt to catch a glimpse of what this great city had to offer. Of course we snapped photos along the way, but I don't have a lot of details for whatever it was I was photographing.
Like this:

I do know that this is the Ministry of Education though ...
not to be confused with the Ministry of Magic:

And leave it to me to find the brewery:

And I made a stop at the Wellington Museum, which made me feel kind of nerdy,
but it was entertaining and informative:
I didn't make it to church, but I photographed one.
I'm thinking that doesn't count though: :)
Um, I think this was a train station of some sort:
And some queen stayed here once upon a time,
that's all I remember. Terrible, I know. :
Just a Wellington neighborhood along the harbour.
I definitely wouldn't mind residing here:

much love

-tara-

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment