Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Osaka at Night ...

Osaka is famous for it's neon lights and let me tell you ... when the sun goes down, the Namba District lights up like no other. See for yourself (or through my pictures anyway) ...

The next sign is known as the running man and is for the Ezaki Glico candy company located in Osaka. "The company name, Glico, is derived from a shortening of the word glycogen. The first candy produced by the company was known as Glico-Caramel. The Glico 300 meter running man trademark is also derived from the original caramel candy: the candy is 15.4kcal, which is enough energy to run exactly 300 meters. The company's large neon sign located above Dotonbori in Osaka has been a famous landmark of the city since its initial construction in 1919. " (Wikipedia, duh.)




The sweetest sports shop EVER:
After shopping and taking in all of the neon, we walked, got lost, found our way, kept walking, got lost once more & then finally ended up at the Absinthe Cafe. We were SO excited, considering how difficult it is to find real absinthe back home. Not to mention the fact that I was looking forward to absinthe back on the ferris wheel, maybe 9 hours earlier.

If you've ever had real absinthe then you know what it tastes like & if you haven't then you need to come to Japan immediately and I will take you to the Absinthe Cafe. We were slightly confused by all of the absinthe cocktails, seeing as it is typically consumed in shots back home, but we ordered up like the champs that we are. I got an absinthe sour & it tasted just like absinthe & sour would, with a lime of course. Everyone knows my love of limes.
Amanda got an absinthe margarita, which we were all curious about, & again, it tasted just like absinthe. I don't think it's really possible to escape the strong, distinct flavor no matter how you dress it up.

After a few drinks we were more than ready to retire to our capsules. It was a long day in Osaka and we were all feeling pretty good, but in need of some serious sleep. I don't even think twice about staying in a capsule now and actually find them quite convenient. This one was a little nicer than the capsule I stayed at in Tokyo & it was only about $25.00 for the night, maybe.
Here's the women's hall, in all it's glory:
This sweet one was mine. #8005 or something of the sorts.

I think I've almost got Osaka figured out, so let me know when you're coming & I'll try not to get us lost. :)

much love
-tara-
xx

1 comment:

  1. babygirl
    I'll never get use to the tiny sleeping quarters,know madder how many times I see it. It's just so casket like. City lights were very LA lookin. MOM XXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete