Sunday, May 11, 2008

Doing Business in Tokyo ...

Back in December Amanda & I went with a group of teachers and principals to attend some professional development workshops. We were excited to return to Tokyo, but at the same time knew that it was going to be mostly filled with work and minimal free time. I was really excited because I knew that two of my fellow colleagues from Freeburg would be there. The thought of seeing Rheta and Gwen made me smile for weeks leading up to the big trip.
Amanda and I boarding our JAL flight from Okayama to Tokyo
The pilots were aware that there were two Americans on board so they
had to do all of the standard flight stuff in Japanese and English.

Kazuyo & I after landing in Tokyo.

Tokyo Station:

Tokyo Station is the main intercity rail terminal in Tokyo, the busiest station in Japan in terms of number of trains per day. Apparently there are 4,000 trains that come through everyday.

Akihabara is an area of Tokyo nicknamed Electric Town.

Amanda & I in Akihabara ... looking for otakus.

This is as close as we ever got to the Imperial Palace.

On day #1 we went to a workshop at entitled "Mentoring for Developing Profession of Preschool Teachers". I was SO excited to see Rheta & Gwen and introduce Amanda to the people that I so frequently talk about.

Gwen & I ... I taught her all about the Japanese pose. :)

This guy was the translator for the conference & he was amazing (& hilarious).

After the conference Kazuyo and I went to an area of Tokyo known as Roppongi. Within this district there is an area known as Roppongi Hills, which has a rather interesting history. Click here to read about it.

The Mori Tower in Roppongi Hills:The whole side of this building was a clock.

It was the holiday season so everything was decorated and really beautiful. Back home the traditional Christmas colors are red & green, but here they are blue & white.

Just a friendly reminder from the hotel staff:

The next morning Kazuyo & I got up really early to prepare for the afternoon conference at Tokyo University. But on the way we managed to make a stop at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. I'd already been there once before, but was excited to go back. The building is amazing and the view is equally so.

From 202 meters up:

So we made our way to Tokyo University to meet up with Gwen & Rheta again for a presentation on Ramps & Pathways. Finally, something I am really familiar with and confident about teaching. Although the thought of being at Tokyo University was rather nerve wrecking. It is called the Harvard of Japan and is ranked the 15th best university in the world.

The campus was beautiful:

I felt like a student again, walking around campus, although slightly different from the UNI campus.
Rheta, Gwen & I at our presentation.
Professors, educators & professionals working on building ramps & pathways.
I felt totally in my element with my people and our ideas and whatnot.
It was great.
After a long two days, Amanda and I had a celebrated a successful weekend.

much love

-tara-

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment