Sunday, March 16, 2008

Okinawa Trip Part Ni ...

Next stop in Okinawa - Shuri Castle. In 1945 during the Battle of Okinawa the castle was completely destroyed but was reconstructed in 1992 at the same site and based on photographs, historical records, and memory.
The gardens leading up to the castle were great
with lots of good climbing trees. :)
The main entrance into the castle:

This is the infamous Okinawa Shisa:

The Shisa can usually be found in pairs and are a cross between a lion and a dog and are usually found in pairs. "Shisa are wards, believed to protect from various evils. When found in pairs, the shisa on the left traditionally has an closed mouth, and the one on the right, a open mouth. The open mouth to ward off evil spirits, and the closed mouth to keep good spirits in."

Since we were in southern Japan, spring was just beginning and everything was starting to bloom & there were flowers and everything beautiful. The gardens leading up to the main gate were beautiful, then again I kind of have a thing for flowers.

A couple of importants I imagine.

Today's date, that apparently they change everyday.

Cherry blossoms are a HUGE deal in Japan. These were the first ones I have seen.

This butterfly garden was pretty sweet.

Finally we made it to the top.

The grand entrance to the castle grounds.

And finally, Shuri Castle.

The castle has a strong Chinese influence and if you look close enough you can see the two shisa on the rooftop.
As usual, inside the castle there was a lot of tatami.
Don't forget to take your shoes off!
And this was the king's chair where he used to conduct business back in the day.
And no, they wouldn't let me sit in it.
Hm ... considering I only know 3 kanji, I have no idea what this says.
It probably says, "It's ok for Tara to sit in the king's chair".

I took about 1,474 more pictures of the castle but the more I looked at them the more I realized they're all the same. The castles are starting to run together. There are just so many. I swear every trip we make involves some sort of castle. No complaints, it's just tricky keeping them straight.

much love

-tara-

xx

1 comment:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete