Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Celebrating Aussie Day ...

I must say that it is true, I didn't know the slightest thing about Australia before coming to Japan. Sure everyone is interested in going to Australia, some make attempts to imitate the distinct accent, and most everyone believes in the stereotype of kangaroos and koalas. My fabulous Australian friends have expanded my knowledge immensely and I am slowly, but surely, becoming 'one of the Aussies'.
On January 26th we celebrated Aussie Day with a group of gaijins (foreigners) by doing all things that were Australian. I had absolutely no idea that Cricket was the most popular sport in Australia and I sure as hell didn't know how to play, but a group of us got together to try it out.

Our equipment ... including some Kirin & some Chu-Hi.
That was essential for our warmth. Just our luck, it was freezing out.


Out of all of these people, maybe 3 actually understood the game.


But we learned quickly.

"No Tara, it is not possible
'steal home' in cricket." Who knew?

The whole batting thing was kind of strange.
Was this baseball? Or golf?

Amanda, Meghan & I ... playing defense.


The game ended when Ian & I were the last two people batting
& between the two of us we managed to score enough points
to tie the game & create a controversial victory.
(Our team says we won, the other team says it was a draw.)

In the end, we're all still friends.

Although a trophy for the winning team would have been nice,
considering that it was MY team. I'll have to get TC working on that one. :)

After a successful game of cricket, we headed to the appropriate local watering hole, Aussie Bar. This bar reminds me of Suds from back home, minus Beau & Luke. It was absolutely essential for us to wear the proper attire, so our friend Amy brought along this wonderful Australian original. This hat was outrageous. Apparently people really, truly wear them in Australia. When you encounter a swarm of flies, you are supposed to shake your head back and forth & the corks will clear you a path. Gross, huh?

I look like a serious idiot.


Apparently meat pies are a hot commodity in Australia. Aussie Bar special orders Villi's Meat Pies for the occasion and everyone, well the Australians anyway, get really about it. I had never had a meat pie, nor a burning desire to try one, but if there were ever a day to try one, this was it.

Amy swore that the more ketchup you put on it, the better.

Aussie Day was great fun. Although I won't be eating meat pies anytime soon (especially after seeing Sweeny Todd), I do feel cultured. Which is a wonderful thing, especially considering I will be visiting Australia in 5 short months! Hopefully I'll fit right in. :)

much love

-tara-

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment