Friday, March 14, 2008

Happy New Year ...

Tomiyama (one of the schools Amanda and I work for) had a dinner for the staff to ring in the New Year. Amanda & I were excited because our reservations were at a yakiniku restaurant, more commonly known as Japanese BBQ or Korean BBQ. This type of restaurant is a 'cook it yourself at the table' kind of a place. You are served raw meat and you grill it yourself at your table. The meat is typically beef, chicken and pork but you have to be careful. When in doubt, ask what you're eating before you eat.

Some of the teachers, myself & Naoko (in the red).
Naoko is the principal of Tomiyama.


These teachers are a riot.
Amanda and I have so much fun joking around with them.
We kind of want to bring them back to America with us.
Amanda was trying to figure out what exactly everything was.
We ate tongue once, so we were trying to steer clear of that.

It was kind of hard to keep everything straight.
& Then they brought out this plate... Naoko said Amanda & I wouldn't like it and that 'many foreign people are unable to eat this meat'. I didn't ask questions but after looking at it I decided there was absolutely no way I was going to try it.
Eventually curiosity got the best of me and I inquired. Naoko told me that it was 'tetchan', otherwise known as intestine. Glad I didn't try it.

Doesn't it look like intestine if you look at it long enough? Sickening.

So Happy New Year to everyone, despite the fact that it is now mid-March. If you ever come visit, Amanda & I know a great yakiniku joint right down the street from our apartment. & If you're adventurous enough, you can try the tetchan.

much love

tara

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Tara, didn't you ever try chitlins at Freeburg? That's what they are - intestines.
    Miss your face,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete