Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Day of Thanks ...

Kinro Kansha No Hi is the Japanese equivalent of American Thanksgiving. In Japan the day is more about giving thanks (in the form of prayer) to the working industry. A day for people to thank one another for the work done throughout the year and the results of the labor. There is a Thanksgiving-type festival in Nagano that encourages people to think about issues affecting peace, human rights, and the environment.

Although the focus isn't necessarily on family, turkey is unheard of & people aren't prepping for 'Black Friday', there is still a similarity between the two cultures. The day is about reflection. About being grateful for what you have and giving thanks for the people you rely on.

Even from the other side of the planet, I'm giving thanks for all of the wonderful people in my life. Arigato gozaimasu (the Japanese way of saying thank you very much). Thank you for the mail you send me, the phone calls I receive, the faith you have in me. Thank you for believing in me and saying things like, "You make me proud". Thank you for supporting me and the crazy things I do. Thank you for being a part of my life.

much love
-tara-
xoxo

ohhh yea ... In case you were wondering exactly what I had for Thanksgiving dinner, Amanda's mother came through and sent us everything Thanksgiving & microwavable. Together, and with the help of a couple microwaves, Amanda and I cooked a feast & watched a Thanksgiving themed episode of Grey's Anato
my. I'm exceptionally grateful for Amanda. :)

Here's the proof that we ate well (or as well as can be expected for a microwaved Thanksgiving dinner):


Amanda in the kitchen ... making some stove top something or another:


Serving the microwaved turkey :)

Of course we ate dinner on the kotatsu. It was very Japanese. (& Yes, that's wine)

Our dinner!! We are amazing cooks :)

We even managed to create this dessert ... in the microwave!!

Thanks Momma Linda Daniel :)

1 comment:

  1. Tara
    I think its great you two had a somewhat home cooked meal, it didn't look bad at all, wish you were here for the real thing.I"ll see ya soon and everyone remember only 11 shopping days left for Tara's 25th birthday.. MOM XXXXXXXXOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete