Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Daniel's Family ...

Daniel's parents came to visit last month and I was lucky enough to get to spend two of their seven day trip with them. I really love parents. I love meeting them and hanging out with them, listening to their stories, where they're from, what they do, what their kids were like growing up :), etc. Daniel's parents were so exceptionally sweet. I enjoyed every minute that I spent with them and it was fun gaining a little insight into Daniel's world. I was a little sad to see them leave, but they invited me to Alabama and I think I just might have to take them up on that one.

We took them to sightseeing around Okayama (not that there's a whole lot to see), did some shopping, ate some taiyaki (my favorite), went to temple, and had a yakiniku party with our Japanese family. They seemed to really enjoy their time here, which is what it was all about.

Okayama Castle ... I've lived here for 2 years and this is the closest I've been:

Korakuen Garden is considered one of the three most beautiful gardens in all of Japan.

And it is just that: It was just a little too early for the cherry blossoms (sakura)

But the plum trees were pretty:

My Japanese parents ... Naoko & Matsumi:

and their children:

HAHA ... there is a story behind this picture that only those of us involved will ever fully appreciate. These people were getting married at the Garden (that's the traditional wedding get-up) and somehow we all ended up in a photo together.

Tara, Daniel, groom, bride, mom & dad. :) We drank a little tea (jk, I don't drink that green stuff) but the parents were brave enough to try it and were just talking and hanging out at the Garden. Everything was great and it was the perfect March weather. I was just minding my own business eating ice cream (it was a Sunday) and this really friendly, kind of adorable old woman (obaachan in Japanese) came around to refill tea and smile at everyone. I thought she was really sweet and we chatted for a second and I remembered why I love old Japanese women. Then, as a random act of kindness, she started putting kinako mochi in on ice cream while smiling at me as if she was doing me some sort of favor. She was so cute I couldn't be mad at her, but seriously ... kinako mochi is gross. Damn obaachan.

Green tea and kinako mochi (the crap she put on my ice cream):

And then, of course, as we do when all foreigners come to visit - we had a yakiniku party!! Yakiniku is Japanese for 'grilled meat' (yaki- grill, niku- meat) and is commonly known as Korean BBQ. It's pretty stellar and there isn't anyone I know that doesn't enjoy a little yakiniku.

Daniel & his dad, Tom, with the aprons on & ready to grill.

Kazuyo, Signa (Daniel's mother) & a serious plate of niku.

HAHA ... Naoko & Yumi, aprons & all.

Although the time with Daniel's family was short, it was oh so sweet. I know I'll see them again though, so no worries. <3

much love

-tara-

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment