Monday, November 10, 2008

Halloween ...

Now that I am FINALLY (almost 3 months later) finished blogging about Australia & New Zealand, we can move on to what I've actually been doing in にほん (Japan), part of which has been studying. I figured I better write about Halloween before it's February and completely inappropriate.

So Japanese people don't really celebrate Halloween. They have decorations and I see a witch hat every once in a while, but that's about it. No pumpkins (which are green in Japan anyway), no trick or treating, no spookiness or costumes or Halloween parties. That is unless you're a がいじん (gaijin - a foreigner). And even then I think it's pretty much only Americans. I know my friends from Australia didn't really get Halloween either. I'll have to ask around and see of Europeans are hip to the holiday.

There was a party that we were hosting (we, as in myself and the other foreigners) at a bar here in 岡山 (Okayama ... see how good I'm getting at this Japanese stuff?). Wear a costume, show up at 8:00 and you can trick or treat at the bar for 4 hours. This is usually the standard Japanese way of hosting a party ... It's called のみほうだい (nomihoudai) and you pay a fixed price at the door and then it's open bar for a set amount of time. This party was 3000¥ for 4 hours ... yes, that's right. All you can drink for 4 hours for approximately $30. I'm a huge fan of the nomihoudai.

I dressed up as Sarah Palin and gave myself some ridiculous bangs while speaking in character all evening. This meant avoiding direct questions, becoming increasingly adorable when cornered, and using the term 'maverick' a lot. It was all in good fun.

Barack Obama even showed up ...

Of course the Joker was there. I'm sure there was a Joker (& probably a Sarah Palin at damn near every Halloween party this year):

My friend Tina was adorable as Fiona ... I had to help make-up her and it wasn't pretty. I can imagine it wasn't fun in the morning either. Ahh, the things we do for a costume.
My supportive mummy and Einstein ... otherwise known as Daniel and F2.
Those glasses do great things for his eyes:

Japanese BFFs:

Star Trek meets politics and shares a drink:
Some of my favorite boys in Japan .. Erik, Taylor & Daniel
3 people with ridiculous hair:
Hancock (real name = F1 or Tapio) & myself ...

Halloween was fun. Always is. I made the most out of my $30 and spent the next day watching feel good movies and taking long naps, but it was worth it. Oh yea, & I did get to eat some Halloween candy compliments of a package I received in the mail ... THANKS MOM!! :)

much love

-tara-

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment