Monday, November 10, 2008

All Good Things Must Come To An End ...

After 10 amazing days in the land down under, it was time for us to go back home. I've never quite thought about Japan as my home before then. When we were all leaving as a group and saying things like, "I'm not ready to go back home" or "I have so much to do once we get home" and I got this realization kind of a feeling that I'm no longer (& haven't been for a long time) the temporary foreign tourist in Japan. I live there. Though not a citizen, I'm a resident. I have a house and an amazing job and great friends. My life is in Japan. A realization that only took me 16 months to come to.

I spent the shuttle ride to Brisbane International Airport thinking about just how lucky I am and the amazing opportunities that have come to me in my short 25 (ALMOST 26) years of life. Five years ago I would have never thought in a million years that I would be where I am today professionally. I've done things in the past 4 years that many people will never get the opportunity to do in the entirety of their career. I have international business contacts, overseas job offers, invitations to present at incredible institutions, fantastic colleagues from all different continents, and overwhelming support from every direction. It's not about bragging, it's about being proud. I feel accomplished in what I've done and have even bigger aspirations for where I want to go. Being in that moment, in Australia and on my way to Korea, was yet another realization that I am doing exactly what I want to be doing at this exact moment.

There are a thousand quotes about taking risks and seizing opportunity and I had never thought them to be so true as I do now. Every once in a great while I stop and think about where I would be if I had chosen a different path. If I would have gotten married or if I had never returned to Freeburg after that infamous first day back in 2003. Or if I had declined the opportunity to come to Japan to stay in Iowa. Where would I be now? Not on my way home from Australia ... I know that much. :)
much love
-tara-
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment