Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Okinawa Trip Part Yon ...

One of the most popular crafts in Okinawa is hand blown glass. Okinawa glass. Everyone has it, and if you don't have it, you want it. Since it was raining, yet again, we were looking for indoor activities and came across a tourist type center that specialized in teaching the Okinawan crafts. We decided to see what it was all about.

I kind of felt like a glass blowing professional considering I had done this a few months ago, so I was ready to go. This place was a little more beginner friendly and it only took about a half hour as opposed to the three hour experience Amanda and I had back in September. Still it was fun and I've added yet another traditional Japanese something to my apartment.

Showing off our sweet 'glass blowing' gear.
Yea, I'm a professional & know exactly what I'm doing.
My creation:

Something about our gear made Xiao & I feel like we had some sort of super powers.
Melissa was a champ at the slow blow.

Later on, when there was a break in the rain, we headed to the infamous Okinawa American Village. From what we had heard it was going to be some American restaurants, shopping, and most likely some military men. When we actually started reading about it we learned that although it used to be a place where the local American population frequented, it has become more of a reverse tourist site. Most of the people in the village are Japanese people coming to see the take on the American lifestyle. Regardless, I got a root beer float from A&W & it was amazing.

A little piece of home. We said the Pledge. :)

Oh, and of course there was a ferris wheel. Ferris wheels are ALL over Japan. So everyone wants to go yada, yada, yada. "Yeah, sure. I'll go." Why do I do this to myself? I don't even like ferris wheels! The ride to the top was slow and painful, especially with everyone standing up and moving around. Ali would understand. :)


Almost finished!

much love

-tara-

xx

1 comment:

  1. looks like too much fun tara ! love dad !

    ReplyDelete