Monday, April 14, 2008

Busted ...

The Happys Logo:
So I have been going to the same supa (grocery store) since I first arrived. It's called Happys & it is right across the street from my house which is obviously convenient considering I have to ride my bike there & back, with whatever I happened to purchase. My shopping habits have definitely changed. There are no more $100 grocery shopping sprees that require a large shopping cart and then 12 trips to get everything from the car in to the house. Definitely none of that.

The employees at the store are really nice, as is everyone in Japan, but our communication is typically limited to your standard 'konnichiwa' or 'konbanwa' (good afternoon and good evening respectively). On ocassion Amanda and I have asked a question if we were looking for something specific, but typically we just don't do that. It usually becomes more of a hassle then attempting to find it on our own.

So I think I have pretty much everyone at the grocery store fooled. I'm pretty sure they think I understand Japanese. I do to an extent but I would say it's a relatively 'chotto' (small) amount. Especially when they are talking so fast. Anyway, nobody at the grocery store ever asks questions and the checkout process is rather easy and as long as you just continually nod your head and throw out the 'hai' (yes) response when it appears as though they're asking a question you're good.

Well everything HAS been good. Up until today. I'm in the checkout & everything is going standard. She's ringing up the purchases, I'm watching the register to figure out how much money I'm going to need, thinking about how I'm going to get this all home on my bicycle. I usually get pretty much the same stuff when I go so I was COMPLETELY thrown off when the lady looked directly at me and said something rather quickly (obviously in Japanese) and was requiring a response. Uhh, quick what do I do? So I very kindly asked her to repeat herself. And she did, just as fast and just like before, I didn't understand any of it. "Hai" (the standard response). I figured that would put an end to the 'conversation' but oh no. Next thing I know she's handing me a coin, pointing to a machine, and talking even faster than before.

I have never seen this coin, never even noticed the machine and I am still not understanding ONE word this lady is saying. I continue on with the 'hai's, pay, and go over to bag my groceries (in Japan you always bag your own stuff & typically use eco bags). I stood kind of close to the machine hoping that someone would come over & use it so I could see how it worked not to mention what the hell it was for. I've been to this supa hundreds of times and have never used this machine. What is so different about today? No one came to use the machine and although I was bagging my groceries extremely slowly I was almost finished. Apparently I wasn't being as sly as I thought I was though because next thing I know the manager comes walking over and asks me (essentially) if I know what I'm doing. I must have hesitated too long because she took the coin & walked me over to the machine & showed me exactly what it did & how to operate it. And you want to know what the machine was for? Dry ice. What the hell did I need dry ice for?

Welcome to my life in Asia. Just when I think I might possibly, slightly have the pitch figured out, I get thrown a curve ball.
much love
tara
xx

1 comment:

  1. Did you buy anything that needs to stay refrigerated? Cheese, for example? It's not uncommon for them to give you dry ice to put in the bag to keep it cold during your trip home.

    ReplyDelete