Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Picking Grapes ...

Grapes, grapes, grapes. I know that I like to eat grapes, I really like frozen grapes & I especially enjoy grapes in liquid form (and I'm not talking about grape juice). So why wouldn't I want to go on a grape picking field trip? Better question, why wouldn't I want to go on any field trip? I LOVE field trips.
This one was for 4 & 5 year olds and instead of walking up the mountain to the grape farm (Is it a grape farm? Grape field? Hmm ...), we actually took a bus. I was genuinely surprised.
Our first line of business was to eat some grapes:
Mizuto, one of my favorites, demonstrating the proper peeling technique:
We ate a lot of grapes :)
Next up was walking to the top of the mountain to the grape 'houses'? Huts?
I clearly know nothing about growing grapes. I must have really learned a lot on this trip. :)
Where they keep the goods:
The go to great lengths to protect the grapes ... and these grapes aren't cheap.
We're seriously talking about 5,000 yen a bundle (aka $50). Seriously.

Yes, $50 for grapes. And no, they weren't magic grapes.

And then everyone got to pick out their own bundle to cut and take back to school. We didn't get the $50 grapes, but these ones weren't cheap either. What is it with Japan and expensive fruit?

The kids were really excited about the whole shabang:
And we took a whole ton of grapes back to school:

Aya sensei, Miki sensei & Tara sensei with the 5 year olds.
Aren't they super cute?

I'm the only one without a weirdo hat. :)
I think we had grapes for snack everyday for the next week.
much love
-tara-
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment