Friday, July 11, 2008

Kiyomizu Dera Temple ...

Kiyomizu Dera Temple is probably one of the most exciting temples I have been to in Japan. It wasn't particularly stunning & the history behind it wasn't all the intriguing, but there was so much to do!! It was like a Buddhist amusement park ... that's probably not a very PC thing to say.

Here's the lowdown on Kiyomizu Temple (compliments of my favorite know-it-all website)

"The Buddhist temple of Kiyomizu-dera, or more fully Otowa-san Kiyomizu-dera (音羽山清水寺, Otowa-san Kiyomizu-dera) is a Unesco World Heritage listed site in the Eastern Kyoto region of Higashiyama and is one of the best known sights of the city. The temple belongs to the Tendai sect of Japanese Buddhism, and is one of the oldest temples in the city of Kyoto."

"The temple dates back to 798, but the present buildings were constructed in 1633. The temple takes its name from the waterfall within the complex, which runs off the nearby hills. Kiyomizu means pure water, clear water or limpid water. It is notable for its vast veranda, supported by hundreds of pillars, that juts out over the hillside and offers impressive views of the city."

The temple is up on a hill, so we had to climb the streets of Kyoto to get there:

But the view was amazing.


Looking down on downtown Kyoto & Kyoto Tower:


Lindsey, Amanda & I at temple #2 for the day ...

So, of course, when you're at temple you have to pray. You do so by throwing some money, ringing this huge bell, clapping twice & bowing once.
Amanda & I got it down:
As we walked through the grounds of funworld, I mean the temple, we saw the typical gardens, ponds, statues & whatnot, but then we came across these rocks (statues?) ...

& I have NO idea what was going on. I tried looking it up & still not quite sure ... Amanda, did you ever figure it out?

And then we came across these weight something or anothers (I know that I'm really educating everyone on the culture of Japan when I use words like something or anothers) & everyone was trying to lift them. Apparently if you do so, you'll have eternal strength or something along those lines. Two out of three were easy, but the middle one was impossible.

Yet Amanda made an honest attempt:

Next ride up, Buddha's Womb. I'm being serious. So inside this building was the sacred womb of Buddha & the story goes like this ...

"Kiyomizu-Dera Temple, Zuiga Hall,
The Tour through the Womb of Zuigu-Bosatsu

Zuigu-Bosatsu is symbolized by a Sanskrit character (insert character my keyboard doesn't support) hara, which is known as a motherly Buddha, who would grant any wishes you have if they are sincere enough to come true.
The basement of Zuigu Hall is regarded as the womb of Zuigu-Bosatsu. This is why it is completely dark inside and there is supposed to be no space for your attachment. You are supposed to walk through the basement following the Buddhist beads.
When Zuigu-Stone appears in front of you, you will make a wish with your true prayer.
After you are out through the womb, you will purify yourself and feel the rebirth with the virtue of Zuigu-Bosatsu." It was kind of scary. It was SO dark, like the kind of dark your eyes cannot adjust to because, despite the fact that they are completely open, you cannot see anything at all. You just held onto the beads & reflected on your life & then all of a sudden the Zuigu Stone appears and you make a wish. I made a good one & so far it's coming true. :)
And just when we were feeling a little thirsty ...
"Beneath the main hall is the waterfall Otowa no taki, where three channels of water drop into a pond. Visitors to the temple collect the water, which is believed to have therapeutic properties, from the waterfall in metal cups on poles or commemorative plastic cups. It is said that drinking the water of the three streams confers wisdom, health, and longevity. However, some Japanese believe that you must choose only two -- if you are greedy and drink from all three, you invite misfortune upon yourself."

So we drank ...

to wisdom ...
& health ...& a long life.

Compai! (cheers in Japanese)

AND THEN ... (that's right, this temple isn't over yet)
We found the love stones. "The temple complex contains several other shrines, notably Jishu-jinja, dedicated to Okuninushino-Mikoto, a god of love and "good matches". Jishu-jinja possesses a pair of "love stones" placed 18 meters apart, which lonely visitors attempt to walk between with their eyes closed. Success in reaching the other stone, eyes closed, is taken as a presage that the pilgrim will find love. One can be assisted in the crossing, but this is taken to mean that an intermediary will be needed. The person's romantic interest can assist them as well."
The Japanese explanation:
& the English translation:
So we took videos. My sweet video taking skills are not improving in the least, but here they are:
Video #1: Walk of Love observation & deliberation:


Video #2: Amanda's Walk of Love. (Kind of like Rock of Love, huh Cathy?) :)

& last but not least, video #3: My Walk of Love. After swearing I wasn't going to do it & being scared of doing it on my own (not the slightest big symbolic of my real life :) ), I decided to brave it with Casey because really, deep down & despite all of my denial, we all want to feel like we will be lucky in love someday.

& lucky in love this girl will be. :) We made the attempt, I didn't peek once, even though I wanted to, & we came out alive on the other side. So I might need a little assistance in my quest for finding love considering Casey & Amanda assisted me in my walk, but I'm not hopeless. I made my wish and now we'll see. So far, so good.

That was our Kiyomizu Dera adventure. Now can you see how I compared it to an amusement park? Six Flags has nothing on Buddhist temples.

much love,

-tara-

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment