Monday, March 9, 2009

A Crazy Game Called Cricket ...

Way back in January (maybe even before Chinese New Year ... who knows?) we all got together to celebrate Aussie Day by playing a little cricket, eating meat pies (sick), and hanging out at the Aussie Bar. Really, where else would we go?

I think I wrote about this last year and really, there just isn't a whole lot to say. Cricket is a kind of yahoo sport (if they're reading this, my Aussie friends are going to kill me) and I think meat pies are gross. I'm pretty sure that's a true story, fact based. But regardless of the worthlessness of the sport or the disgustingness of the food, I love Aussie day! Maybe it's because I love lots of Australians. Whatever the reason, I showed up (dressed in layers to battle the single digit temperature) to fully support anything and everything from the land down under.

See? Hat, socks as gloves, Aussie sweatshirt ... Tapio & I were all about it.
Our gear is mostly thanks to Amy who sent us a box of Australian love that we opened that day.
We LOVE you Amy!!
We're freezing ... & it doesn't help that the only place we can play is right along the river. :/
The thing that I love most about cricket is that you can play outfield with a drink in your hand. :)
Our cultural conglomerate:
Next up: Aussie Bar to carry on the Australian celebration. Aussie Bar is my own Japanese (well, actually Australian) version of Suds. It's kind of a dump, the drinks are cheap (for Japan), and I frequent there whenever possible. I know just about everyone in the bar (we're the cool kids), I always get 'my usual' (according to Lee and Jason) and every visit turns into a rockin good time. It was one of the very first places Amanda and I ever went in Japan where everyone spoke English and you could get a familiar drink. In the same way that I miss Suds, I know I will forever miss Aussie Bar. And not just for the drinks and darts, but for the hilarious, outrageous, and sometimes downright shocking antics that have gone on there.
Erik & I looking awfully げんき。
Kevin (& that hat) ...
And Claire and those socks ... I mean mittens!!
And then you have Bobby. Bobby is to Aussie Bar what Jimmy was to Mike's Saloon. You know you can always count on him to be there. I don't think he's let me down yet. :)
PS - I'm 99% sure I did NOT eat that meat pie. Ok, maybe only 79% sure.

much love
-tara-
xx

1 comment:

  1. are you sure your over there teaching ? look like too much fun ! love dad

    ReplyDelete